[iptv-users] Open Source x264 Encoder

Alex Moen alexm at ndtel.com
Fri Jan 22 10:45:04 EST 2010

Another extremely important point is that the STBs don't have
powerhouse processors.  The more that we squeeze down video, the more
the processor has to work in order to recreate the video frame.  Also,
VBR is known to be more processor intensive than CBR, hence most IPTV
providers are using CBR.  So, sacrificing some bandwidth to give the
STB processor more data to use to recreate frames will equal a much
better picture.  Depending on the STB, 300k could make the difference
between a good picture and microblocking.

I am all for open source, and I am going to look into X264 for my own
knowledge and do some testing on it.  However, with some of the gear
on the market today (for instance, VSI (www.vsicam.com), where an HD
H264 encoder is actually affordable, and S/A's DCM), it's going to be
pretty hard to think that I am going to be able to be more compact,
efficient, and reliable by rolling my own...

Thanks for the heads up about X264... I'm gonna take a look at it.

Alex Moen
NDTC