[iptv-users] IPTV unicast

Łukasz C. Jokiel Lukasz.Jokiel at klonex.com.pl
Tue Mar 8 14:20:32 EST 2011

<cytowanie kto="cherqui nawfal">
> Hello everyone,
>

> I have 300 mbps from the server and i want to deliver 8 channels , and i
> dont have lot of clients arout 30.

The 300Mbps is total multicast traffic that you have on the output, but
you would like to deliver only 8 channels (so 12 - 24Mbps total)

> My problem is :In some POPs, their is just one client connected, and who
> had
> 30 Mbps for example. And the rate correspending sent to the DSLAM is 300
> since i am using multicast so in this case i think it s better if i can
> send
> the IPTV by unicast.

This sounds like the network is no configured properly to deliver
multicast traffic.

#1 option: If the DLSAM does not support multicast routing (and it's not a
router) check if it's able to support IGMP Snopping. If so the set
correctly IGMP querier for such POPs.

This is done in 5 seconds hence you got proper hardware.

#2 option: If the DLSAM is not aware of the multicast in any way - no way
at all (can't belive that, but hey let's say so) - you can then think of
converting multicast to unicast (probably IP multipkser is good idea,
while NAT is NOT!) to be able do deliver to 30 customers.

> I was thinking about a solution where i can send the TV by unicast, and
> when
> i reach some level (i mean number of connected clients in IPTV network) i
> switch to the multicast.
>
> Can some one tell me if it s a good idea or no.
> btw i willing to implement an  open source solution.
>
> --
> Nawfal

**
"Klonex-VCS" PUH Sp. z o.o., Zbozowa 27, 45-837 Opole
KRS: 0000040565, Sad Rejonowy w Opolu, VIII Wydzial Gospodarczy KRS
NIP: 754-033-46-36, wysokosc kapitalu zakladowego: 500 000,00 zl
--
Lukasz C. Jokiel. CCNA/CCDA/CCIP,DVB-C,IPTV,DTV,
alt mail / jabber: lukasz.jokiel at gmail.com
          Skype: lukaszjokielklonex
PGP Key: -=[http://lukasz.jokielowie.com/]=-