[iptv-users] Middleware Recommendations

James Bieker james at metc.net
Tue Jun 7 14:10:18 EDT 2016

Minerva (and Amino STB's) have been around the longest.

We chose Minerva because they could support more than just Amino STB's
and at the time the support/ongoing costs were less than Innovative
Systems was, especially when factoring in the EPG guide data costs from
Tribune which seemed quite high for less than 1000 subs.

Having started at Minerva 5.0 with Widgets and OTT, they have finally
merged into a single server approach.

Upside is the flexibility to customize the skins, plus you can develop
your own widgets. You can deploy high availability but the basic install
is with a cold spare.

Downside is bug issues, mostly memory leaks, some with Amino. Feature
development and trouble resolution are the weak points. Have heard a few
Minerva users report they like ADB as their STB.

FYI, Entone and Amino have merged and expect the product lines to also
merge at some point.

Innovative is a smaller shop and their first product had it's issues but
their in house R&D shined best once their 2nd gen product was deployed.
They work closely with Amino and take on most of the testing burden, and
seem to have the fewest bugs and by far the most simple system to deploy
as it all lives on a pair of Linux based servers that offer redundancy.

Most of the software used by middleware companies is Linux based and
generally works pretty well. However, we have seen bad/missing EPG data
cause issues, Verimatrix clients that had software bugs, so nothing is
bulletproof.

If it were mine to do all over again, I would probably choose Innovative.

James Bieker CTO
Marne Elk Horn Telephone