[Irtf-rr] AW: Differentiated Routing, not only plain rambo-SPF

Hummel Heinrich Heinrich.Hummel@icn.siemens.de
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 08:39:10 +0200

"Naidu, Venkata" wrote:
>   Simply, SPs can map 2 different services [example,
>   2 different CoS-types] to these different metrics.
>   Effectively we *are* doing DiffRouting...previously
>   there is no name for it...(and we are getting panicked
>   that we are facing a new/unresovable/performace
>   implicated problem here).

Ibrahim wrote:

How is "DiffRouting" different from
old Type-of-Service (ToS) routing?

My answer:
By constructing multiple road systems, which  eventually are even constructed in awareness of
road systems constructed before (e.g. overflow road system X-overflow w.r.t. road system X)
and to lock traffic into some road system so that it is kept out of the way from other traffic. It may mean not to
take the shortest path for the individual micro flow.

Heinrich

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1349.html
http://www.cs.bu.edu/fac/matta/Papers/jsac95.ps

ibrahim

--
Ibrahim Matta       Dept of Comp Sci, 111 Cummington St, MCS-271
matta@cs.bu.edu     Assistant Prof, Boston Univ., Boston, MA 02215