[Irtf-rr] RE: Differentiated Routing, not only plain rambo-SPF

Ayyasamy, Senthilkumar (UMKC-Student) saq66@umkc.edu
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 03:12:37 -0500

> I am really surprised that the need for having several
> routing table is a big (scalability) issue:
> (BTW:Logically it takes separate routing tables, one per
> DSCP. But you may as well maintain one routing table
>  and search the next hop entry also based on the DSCP)
> IMO stateless DiffRout-Forwarding is more scalable than MPLS or RSVP.
  Yes diffserv forwarding is less stateful when compared to MPLS
or RSVP. But that has nothing to do with scalability problems in maintaining
multiple routing tables.
There are scalability issues wrt single routing table itself. People are still
working on scalable solutions for mimizing the overhead, wrt adding mechanisms
like accounting and other valued added measurement functions, which requires
processing of pkts at line rate. So i am guessing, scalablity associated with
multiple routing tables, will be a long shot.

See again you have started with diffrout, then it was changed to diffser-aware-TE
and now mechanisms for basic diffserv arch.