[Irtf-rr] AW: Differentiated Routing, not only plain rambo-SPF

Hummel Heinrich Heinrich.Hummel@icn.siemens.de
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 17:02:57 +0200

Jing,
Let me recapture and use the following DSCPs:=20
DSCP-Gold-1st, DSCP-Gold-2nd, =
DSCP-Silver-1st,DSCP-Silver-2nd,DSCP-Bronze-1st,DSCP-Bronze-2nd.=20

DSCP-Gold-1st and DSCP-Gold-2nd shall trigger DiffServ Gold-SLA =
handling.
DSCP-Silver-1st and DSCP-Silver-2nd shall trigger DiffServ Silver-SLA =
handling.
DSCP-Bronze-1st and DSCP-Bronze-2nd shall trigger DiffServ Bronze-SLA =
handling.=20

They shall as well identify road systems:=20
DSCP-Gold-1st, DSCP-Gold-2nd, =
DSCP-Silver-1st,DSCP-Silver-2nd,DSCP-Bronze-1st,DSCP-Bronze-2nd - built =
in this
sequence. Hereby each road system is based on what has been left over =
by the previously built road systems (in terms of
bandwidth).

Gold:  A smallest size tree of toll roads, highways, state roads, =
country roads.
Silver:A smallest size tree of highways, state roads, country roads.
Bronze:A smallest size tree of state roads, country roads, and highways =
only if no path otherwise.
=20
QoS parameters (speed, packet loss rate, MTU size,..) may define the =
type of road.

1st and 2nd road system may be different at least  w.r.t. their kernel =
parts. (The kernel part be that=20
center of the smallest size tree, which is used by at least m =
ingress/egress combinations).
Either traffic starts out with a) proper DSCP-Y-1st, resp. DSCP-Y-2nd, =
or b) is  changed from DSCP-Y-1st to
DSCP-Y-2nd at the rim of the kernel if some current traffic load =
information advises so. I prefer a) and if possible such
that any microflow will entirely take one single route.

Jing, you are mentioning two aspects, namely stability and =
extensibility.
Stability:=20
We may toss a dice at the ingress,i.e. determine a random number Y =
between 0.0 and 1.0. If =20
0.0<=3D Y < a, then we use DSCP-Y-1st, if a<=3D Y < 1, then we use =
DSCP-Y-2nd. The real number a should be such
that we avoid/dissolve some congestion and do not relocate it. At =
low-traffic times a is equal 1. But for the busy hour
determining value a  will be a very interesting topic.=20
If any  University folks were interested in doing simulations as to =
determine value a for all ingress/egress combinations
and for all three SLAs, I would be happy to exchange more thoughts and =
details on it (so far I have always deferred it).
Especially, it would be interesting to get comparable results between =
what I called "Orchestrally Conducted Traffic" and
OMP.
However we would be leaving  the DiffRout-track of thoughts. Therefore =
we should say: this is out of scope of this thread.=20
It may only be addressed by some other thread.

Extensibility:
So far I have no solution, on how to determine a smallest size tree =
made out of OSPF-links and EBGP/IBGP-hops.
BTW:
It seems to be appropriate to focus on  smallest size tree road =
systems, at least for some time, although ring and
somehow meshy road systems might also be considered.=20

Can anybody contribute some  solution ? I think, it must be an =
identical tree of BGP-hops. Only all edge routers of the
same OSPF network must aquire the completely identical tree. Somehow:-)

Heinrich=20

-----Urspr=A8=B9ngliche Nachricht-----