[Irtf-rr] Re: question about multipath routing applicability and internet t raffic pattern&In-Reply-To=<000801c1ef89$b08b4600$a68320d2@topgun>

MAHRAMIAN MEHRAN M_MAHRAMIAN@ISC.IRANET.NET
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 17:51:03 +0430

Dear Mr. Jing Shen

Although I am new in this field, but I think that we need a uniform network
to guarantee QoS and make sure about loop free paths during multipath
routing.
Your results may differ from previous papers, because of self-similar
traffic that you may have applied to your network. I have already received a
message from one of my friends that claims that high bandwidth traffics are
not necessarily self similar. You may work more on the statistical model of
your traffic.

Mehran Mahramian Moallem
Amirkabir University of Technology
Tehran, Iran

This is a reply to the message below :

> Hi,

I want to make clear some problems while doing with multipath routing.

At current time routing is done with unipath ( including ECMP on it), while
in some ISP network
network optimization is done according to the traffic pattern derived from
observation.
it is found such methodology works fine in current network environment ( Am
i right with current situation? )

But TE asks us to make full use of network resource and improve the
network's adapting ability
to bursty traffic. Although overprovision is adopted to deal with such
requirements, it is not the
least cost solution ( I think). But as we simulate some of the multipath
routing method for
intradomain routing, under uniform traffic pattern multipath always shows
bad congestion
delivery capacity. :-(

My questions raise with such experience is :

1. How is the network traffic distributed when considering edge-to-edge
connections ? What about aggregation?
   what I want to make clear is : how non_uniformility is ? what is the flow
level properties ?

2. Is it reasonable to simulate a network with only a subset of node
exchange traffic? How could
   load sensitive routing affect the traffic distibution over the network?
is there any paper on it?

I found i lost in the jungle as our experiments shows different result
showed by some papers I read.
Would you please give some help?

great thanks to each word you give.

Regards