[Irtf-rr] Just an idea for a self organiziong IPv6 address space network

Curtis Villamizar curtis@fictitious.org
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 11:04:58 -0500

In message <NCBBIKACLKNMKDHKKKNFMEGEHGAA.dima@krioukov.net>, "Dmitri Krioukov"
writes:
> For one of the best attempts to uncover the
> current Internet hierarchy incorporating customer-
> provider relationship please see this:
> http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~sagarwal/research/BGP-hierarchy/
>
> However, it doesn't change a bit in calculations
> derived from the fundamental Kleinrock's results.
> And this is essentially reinforced by Curtis's
> considerations below.
> --
> dima.

Dima,

Thanks for the URL.

They did a nice job "quantifying the mess".  A summary can be found on
the slides at
<http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~sagarwal/research/BGP-hierarchy/infocom02-present.pdf>
Slide 30 has a nice picture of the top level.  CAIDA has done similar
visualizations.  Skitter plots make nice T-shirts but don't show any
clear hierarchy on which allocation of addresses could be based.

Curtis