[Irtf-rr] Where next for the IRTF RRG

avri avri at psg.com
Wed Sep 24 01:22:19 EDT 2003

Hi,

I am grateful to Vern for giving me the chance to work with the RRG as
its chair anda chance to try and get it back on a useful track.  I also
thank Frank and Sean for the efforts they have put into the RRG over
the last few years.

While talking to Vern about the group, we came up with an approach.
This approach is by no means complete, and will the need the
participation of many individuals in this group to be viable.

Elements of that approach are:

1. Get the requirements document published.  I have just submitted an
update that takes into account the comments received based on the -00
version.   It should show up shortly.  I would like to get this
published as an Informational RFC in the near future.

2. Get the history document updated and published as an Informational
RFC in relatively short time. I have asked the co-editor of that draft,
Elwyn Davies to usher this to completion as its primary editor.  He
will, however, need the help of reviewers, especially from among those
who 'were there' while the current routed network was being created.

3. Most importantly, get some research sub-projects established within
the RRG.  I believe there is much that needs be researched, both for
the near term and for the longer term and I believe the RRG can still
have a useful role to play in that research.

The immediate goal is to decide which specific routing research issues
should be focused on now.  I think we need to find projects in both the
near term, and the longer term categories.

- in terms of the near term, I plan to consult with the IETF Routing,
and Routing involved, ADs and others to find out which are the specific
research issues that would be useful for the RRG to take on.  I
envision that these projects should mostly be the sort where we can
achieve results within a year or so.

- in terms of the longer term, I include projects that attempt to
respond to the issues and questions raised in the requirements
document.  While these projects might include the grand new
architecture as envisioned by the requirements, or at least subset of
them, they might also consist of more focused projects that contribute
to solving the long term problems in an evolutionary manner. These
project could also concern issues in mobility and other issues and can
involve non traditional approaches to network organization.

I would like to ask the participants who have research idea for the
group  to contribute paragraphs to the list, or to me, describing
research issues they think are important and the reasons they think
they are useful.

So, in the near future, I would like to see several projects initiated
that range from the immediately practical to the far range and
speculative.    While it depends on the number of people willing to get
involved, I think that initially we would initiate no more then 5
efforts and possibly many fewer.

Once a few sub-projects have been started up  the charter will get
updated to reflect the goals.  I see the charter as flexible, so that
if a new idea for a sub-project comes up and there are qualified people
who want to participate we can look at updating the charter.

I would like to structure the sub-projects along the same lines as has
been done in the RRG in the past, i.e. closed membership in the
sub-groups but an open general mailing list.  I would, however, like to
have all of the closed sub-group produce periodic updates to the list
so that everyone can know what is going and can participate in some of
the discussions of issues on the open list.  I would also like for the
list to become a place where research questions can be posed and where
there  can be an open sharing of ideas, opinions, speculation and maybe
even knowledge.

thanks

a.