[j-nsp] Need help on ping output

Lars Erik Gullerud lerik@nolink.net
18 Nov 2002 11:56:04 +0100

On Fri, 2002-11-15 at 18:41, German Martinez wrote:
> Eduard,
>
> On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Eduard Metz wrote:
>
> > Actually in JUNOS you can specify a firewall such that it sends a
> > 'host-unreachable' when rejecting a packet. Not sure about Cisco. When the
>
> If the firewall has action "reject", it will send back an ICMP message
> (I'm not sure if it is unreachable or administrative prohibited).

Actually, with the "reject" action you can select what ICMP message the
router sends in return, both host unreachable and administrative
prohibited are of course among the possibilities (as well as some quite
rarely used ones that you can really get unsuspecting engineers to
scratch their heads over :)

/leg