[j-nsp] policer useless

Daniel Roesen dr@cluenet.de
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 16:14:34 +0200

On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 01:53:33PM +0200, Blaz Zupan wrote:
> I've searched through the archives for this list and found a few mentions of
> this problem but no real solutions or useful answers.
>
> I'm trying to use a policer to limit a certain customer on a FastEthernet
> interface to say 4Mbps:

You're doing policing, which sabotages TCP's congestion avoidance
mechanisms. A problem VERY well known since the days of the IMPs. :-)

Basically, you have no chance. You need to do queuing... with
policing you're totally lost.

Policing is OK to have a "safety ceiling", but not for "limiting
regular traffic down to agreed levels".

We basically need a very easy knob in JunOS to configure egress AND
ingress queuing to a specific traffic level, but that knob doesn't
exist.

Best regards,
Daniel