[j-nsp] policer useless

MPuras@solunet.com MPuras@solunet.com
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 11:52:26 -0400

Hi Markus,

   I think the problem that Blaz is seeing has to do with the windows =
size
and the burst-size being used.  I ran into this problem before and if I
recall recorrectly, I was using a small burst burst-size close to the =
MTU
which I think was 1500 which gave me poor results.  Noticing the window =
size
being requested from the PC, what was occuring was that it was allowing =
the
traffic to burst and then it would drop it.  It would then renegotiate =
the
window size and would have to retransmit a lot of traffic over again.  =
This
cause the performance to be very poor.  My solution was to increase the
burst-size to atleast 10x the MTU to get the results that I was looking =
for,
otherwise, I would see the same issues Blaz is seeing.  My 2 cents.

Thanks,

Mario Puras
SoluNet Technical Support=20