[j-nsp] no inet.2 for multicast RPF etc. by default?

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Wed Apr 16 16:07:11 EDT 2003

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003, Leonard Giuliano wrote:
> -) On Tue, 15 Apr 2003, Leonard Giuliano wrote:
> -) > Yes, inet.0 is used by default.  If you want pim and/or msdp to use
> -) > inet.2, you just need to configure these protocols to do so.
> -) >
> -) > protocols {
> -) >     msdp {
> -) >         rib-group inet pim-rg;
> -) >     }
> -) >     pim {
> -) >         rib-group inet pim-rg;
> -) >     }
> -) > }
> -)
> -) But there is *no* way to try inet.2 first, and if it fails, only then go
> -) back to inet.0 ?
> -)
>
> I believe you can do this by copying the rest of the inet.0 routes into
> inet.2, and somehow give them a lower preference.  I think the behavior
> you want is possible, but it may take some configuration.

yes, this would probably be preferable -- but the "somehow" seems like a
tricky part.  it would seem to require special casing in all the protocol
configurations, policies if so.  so seems clearly be out of question.

I don't know how the copying works, but being able to modify some
attributes (preferences between the copy sources, in particular) would be
highly valuable, I think.