[j-nsp] Filtering people pointing default

Junoguy junoguy at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 4 21:34:24 EDT 2003

While looking in the knowledgebase, I ran across this that sounds very
similar or at least in the same path as what you are looking for:

Number: 14257

Problem: How do I configure the automatic BGP neighbor filter to block
unwanted BGP connections?

Solution: Beginning with JUNOS Release 5.4, you can use an apply-path to
extract IP addresses from the configuration. By using the resulting
prefix-list in a firewall, you have a universal filter that can be
easily applied to protect the router from unwanted traffic.

Follow these steps to create a filter to block BGP traffic from all
sources other than configured neighbors.

Create an apply-path that will automatically parse the contents of the
specified portion of the router's configuration to gather IP addresses.
The following example creates one prefix-list named bgp-allowed which
contains all the neighbor addresses, and a second prefix-list named
called local-addresses which contains all configured local-addresses:
[edit]
rs at R0# show policy-options
prefix-list bgp-allowed {
    apply-path "protocols bgp group <*> neighbor <*>";
}
prefix-list local-addresses {
    apply-path "interfaces <*> unit <*> family inet address <*>";
}

Verify that the apply-path is working correctly by using the display
inheritence option on the configuration-mode show command:
[edit]
rs at R0# show policy-options prefix-list local-addresses |display
inheritance
##
## apply-path was expanded to:
##     192.168.0.10/24;
##     192.168.5.10/24;
##     192.168.4.10/24;
##     192.169.3.10/24;
##     10.0.0.10/32;
##
apply-path "interfaces <*> unit <*> family inet address <*>";

Next, create a firewall filter that accepts BGP traffic (identified by
protocol and port) between only the listed addresses (in this case, the
apply-paths local-addresses and bgp-allow), and which drops all other
BGP traffic directed to the local addresses.
[edit]
rs at R0# show firewall
family inet {
    filter local-secure {
## allow BGP if between valid sorce- and destination-addresses
        term 1 {
            from {
                source-prefix-list {
                    bgp-allowed;
                }
                destination-prefix-list {
                    local-addresses;
                }
                protocol tcp;
                port bgp;
            }
            then accept;
        }
## drop all other bgp traffic sent to a local address
        term 2 {
            from {
                destination-prefix-list {
                    local-addresses;
                }
                protocol tcp;
                port bgp;
            }
            then {
                reject;
            }
        }
## Allow all other traffic
        term 3 {
            then accept;
        }
    }
}

Apply the filter as an input filter to the desired interfaces. Add more
firewall terms as necessary to allow or deny other traffic.

Mario