[j-nsp] mrtg

Dave Plonka plonka at doit.wisc.edu
Thu Aug 14 09:14:22 EDT 2003

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 02:11:48AM +0200, Roy-Magne Mo wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 11:41, Bosco Sachanandani wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Anyone ever setup MRTG to monitor Juniper E1 interfaces?? Or is MRTG
> > supported in the first place??
>
> works for me :) use cfgmaker to build the config, it should find all
> interfaces.

I don't have any E1 interfaces, but here's a general note about using
MRTG with Junipers and other high-capacity routers/switches:

In the "junipoll" distribution (link below) I included an MRTG
interface template named "HCInterfaceTemplate.pl" and a sample Makefile
named "mrtg_cfg.make".  Interface templates are used to customize the
way MRTG polls each ifIndex, e.g.:

   $ cfgmaker --ifref=name --snmp-options=:::::2 --if-template=HCInterfaceTemplate.pl router [router2 [...]]

If you use this technique, MRTG will poll the 64-bit High-Capacity
interface counters using SNMPv2c instead of the 32-bit ones using
SNMPv1, making your measurements more reliable on the high-bandwidth
interfaces by avoiding confusing counter wraps.

This is mentioned in the "hints on use MRTG with Junipers" in the
README file here:

  http://net.doit.wisc.edu/~plonka/junipoll/README

Dave

--