[j-nsp] ntp status

MPuras at solunet.com MPuras at solunet.com
Tue Aug 26 10:57:07 EDT 2003

This from the knowledgebase:

Problem: The show ntp commands respond with a connection refused error
message.

Solution: This error message means that the user interface program cannot
successfully communicate the the ntp daemon process. The most common causes
for this are:

The loopback interface does not have IP address 127.0.0.1 configured; ntp
uses a network connection to 127.0.0.1 (also known as localhost) to
communicate between the daemon and the user interface
There is a firewall filter associated with the loopback interface which is
blocking ntp packets (ntp uses both the TCP and UDP protocols, and port
number 153)
The ntp daemon process (xntpd) may not be running; verify this by checking
the output of the "show system processes detail" wide command. If the ntp
daemon is not running, you should be able to restart it by modifying the
[edit system services ntp] hierarchy and performing a commit. If the daemon
still will not start, examine the system log file for ntp errors.

Thanks,

Mario Puras
SoluNet Technical Support
Mailto: mpuras at solunet.com
Direct: (321) 309-1410
888.449.5766 (USA) / 888.SOLUNET (Canada)