[j-nsp] Big Size Packets on DS3

Kashif.Khawaja at Broadwing.com Kashif.Khawaja at Broadwing.com
Thu Dec 4 19:09:53 EST 2003

> Keep in mind that if you use the "size" parameter on the
> juniper ping command to test what you are describing, it only
> counts the payload, not the IP or ICMP headers, so the
> maximum size you can ping with is your inet mtu (4470) - 28
> bytes = 4442. So this is normal behaviour. You can see the
> same thing on an Ethernet interface with standard inet mtu of
> 1500, where 1472 is the largest size parameter to junipers
> ping you will get through the link with do-not-fragment set.
>
> /leg

Absolutely right. I was told when our provisioners were trying to bring the circuit up
they did not set the do-not-fragment bit. I have asked them to setup it up again so that I
can see whats going on. Will let ya guys know how it goes. Appreciate the help. Thanks
Lars!

-Kashif
 +++The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  Any review,
retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon,
this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
If you received this in error, please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this
document.+++