[j-nsp] rate limiting question

harry harry at juniper.net
Mon Dec 8 18:39:56 EST 2003

Another rule of thumb, especially for high-speed links (> OC-12c) is to set
the max-burst to a value that represents 3-5 milliseconds of line rate
transmission.

As you point out, a 20 M vs a 50 M limiter may well use the same burst size
parameter. The main concern is setting too small a burst, which can make the
policer seem broken because throughput is measured below the configured
bandwidth limit.

HTHs