[j-nsp] internal RE communication

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Fri Dec 19 14:48:12 EST 2003

Two questons, possible related.

#1. What does the "fxp2" link in an M160 add over other models? On a
router with 4 SFMs but only one RE, fxp1 is up but fxp2 is down. On a
router with two REs, fxp2 is up. Is this a dedicated NIC to the other RE?
If so, why does it show up in an M160 but not an M20 which also has dual
RE capability? And wouldn't the fxp itself be onboard the RE, and aren't
the RE-2.0's all the same between models? I would have at least assumed
that since the M40 w/RE-2.0 still uses rj45 to connect the RE section to
the rest of the system, that the fxp's themselves were onboard the RE and
the wiring was simply included in pins with everything else, rather than
the fxp's being part of the chassis and accessed through PCI. Or did this
change with the models, so that an M160 has an extra fxp which the RE
accesses through PCI (on the MCS?). Perhaps someone who actually knows
would be so kind as to tell me just how far off my guesses are. :)

#2. Is it possible to put a family inet on an internal link, either fxp1
or fxp2, for easy communication (say for file transfers) between the two
REs?