[j-nsp] vlan tagging, vlan ids, etc.

David William thedave_tpp at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 29 15:41:25 EST 2003

First of all, I don't have much of a juniper background and have been
staring at the interfaces and class of service book for some time.

I have a Gigabit Ethernet connection between two facilities.  On one side I
have a cisco 3524 switch, on the other, I have a juniper M40 running an
older version of Junos - 5.2R2.3

On the juniper side, I have a simple setup of the link...
root at edge# show interfaces ge-3/3/0
unit 0 {
    family inet {
        no-redirects;
        address 10.0.0.1/29;
    }
}

I can get across the link to the switch on the other end at 10.0.0.2

now, when I attempt to create subinterfaces I can no longer get to the
switch on the other end.

root at edge# show interfaces ge-3/3/0
vlan-tagging;
unit 0 {
    vlan-id 1;
    family inet {
        no-redirects;
        address 10.0.0.1/29;
    }
unit 1 {
    vlan-id 2;
    family inet {
        no-redirects;
        address 10.0.1.1/30;
    }
unit 2 {
    vlan-id 3;
    family inet {
        no-redirects;
        address 10.0.2.1/30;
    }
}

I'm new to junos and am just unsure of what I am doing wrong.  According to
the documentation this *should* work.

Any glaring problems with what I am doing?  Maybe its lack of sleep from the
holidays that has me misreading this.

Thanks for any help

David William