[j-nsp] attenuator

Niels den Otter otter at surfnet.nl
Tue Dec 30 06:33:58 EST 2003

LOM,

On Tuesday, 30 December 2003, LOM wrote:
> We have a Nortel Passport 7480 with STM1 single mode ATM interfaces,
>
> We will have 2 M7i Juniper in a very short time also they will have OC3
> Single Mode ATM2 interfaces,

>From http://www.juniper.net/products/ip_infrastructure/modules/100045.html

SMIR optical interface
    * Connector: SC duplex connector
    * Length: maximum distance 9.3 miles / 15 km
    * Wavelength: 1,260 to 1,360 nm
    * Average Launch Power: -15 to -8 dBm
    * Receiver Saturation: -8 dBm
    * Receiver Sensitivity: -28 dBm

> We want to connect 7480 with M7i , as I didn't make a connection like before
> that I want to ask if we should use attenuator
>
> between two interfaces. In single mode interfaces with 1-2 meter fiber
> patch do we need attenuator ?

You need to find these specs for the Nortel Passport also and check if the
max launch power (-8 dBm for Juniper) stays within the receiver specs of the
other side (-28 / -8 dBm for Juniper).

-- Niels