[j-nsp] non-concatenated STM-4 on Junipers

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Mon Feb 10 20:25:11 EST 2003

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 08:07:38PM +0100, Lars Erik Gullerud wrote:
> However when I looked at the specs for the 1-port OC-12 PIC's, they say
> "operates in both concatenated and non-concatenated mode", so I'm
> suddenly seeing a tiny spark of hope. But does that mean I need to set
> the "no-concatenation" sonet-option on the PIC and be presented with
> four STM-1 channels,

Correct. This looks like:

so-1/2/0:0      up    up
so-1/2/0:0.0    up    up
so-1/2/0:1      up    up
so-1/2/0:1.0    up    up
so-1/2/0:2      up    up
so-1/2/0:2.0    up    up
so-1/2/0:3      up    up
so-1/2/0:3.0    up    up

BTW... this also happened because the carrier wasn't able to
deliver STM4c with his equipment. :-)

> or will it actually do concatenation internally on
> the PIC and present me with a full STM-4 on the Juniper?

No.

> If given four STM-1 channels, I suppose we could configure a "SONET
> aggregated interface" in the software and re-bundle the channels
> logically,

Yep, but only starting in JunOS 5.6.

> but I'd obviously prefer to be presented with a single STM-4
> interface. Is this possible without concatenation being done on the
> ADMs?

No.

Best regards,
Daniel