[j-nsp] BGP Command translations from IOS to JUNOS

Hannes Gredler hannes at juniper.net
Thu Feb 20 11:43:00 EST 2003

On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 01:53:37PM -0700, Danny McPherson wrote:

| I'm pretty sure that by default neither Juniper or Cisco provide
| the information received from a peer before the Input Policy Engine
| is applied and it's stored in the Adj-RIB-In.  Else there'd be no
| need for things like BGP Route Refresh :-)
|
| However, if you really needed it on a normal basis enabling inbound
| soft reconfiguration for the concerned peer(s) should give you access to
| the "unaltered" data, but may use quite a bit of memory to store the it.

yes and no;

per default JUNOS _does_ store the inbound RIB for SAFI 1,2,4 routes;
 however, what you see using the "show route receive protocol bgp x.y.z" command
 does not entirely show _all_ the prefixes coming in - i.e. prefixes
 with e.g. a malformed AS path don't show up here;
 likewise the "show route advertising protocol bgp x.y.z" does not show;

 you how the update leaves the router - things like prepending of the own
 AS number are missing here;

for SAFI 128 routes there is no inbound RIB except you turn on the keep-all knob;
 which is a nice thing as it gives you a lot more better visibility to
 troubleshoot VPN problems; of course this is at the expense of some memory -
 but hey we have lots of them ;-)

/hannes