[j-nsp] FPC SD Ram

Hannes Gredler hannes at juniper.net
Mon Jan 20 16:34:22 EST 2003

phil,

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 12:15:48AM -0500, Phil Rosenthal wrote:
| Hello.
|
| M20/M40 FPC's have what looks to me to be 2 64MB PC100 ECC SDRam chips.
| Does anyone know what this memory is used for?  Are the chips standard
| chips (ie if they fail, can they be replaced with off the shelf parts)?

the chips are standard chips [needless to say that you would loose
warranty if you decide to play with it]

| Can you upgrade them to say 256MB of ram if you had a special
| application?

they memory is used for storage of packets and notifications
[pointer to packets] - the M-series routers are designed
to allow a max queue depth of 200msec which is more than enough
for core applications;

here comes my question(s):

  would you need deeper queues ?
  for what particular purpose ["special application"] ?

/hannes