[j-nsp] Policer Statistics

Tay Chee Yong tcy at pacific.net.sg
Wed Jan 29 01:13:48 EST 2003

Hi all,

I was wondering if Juniper running JUNOS 5.3 has a way of displaying a policer's
conformed/exceeded packets/bytes, as per a Cisco's rate-limit/service policy
show output.

Seems that the output results of the policer only shows the number of packets
being discarded (as per the policer's action - discard)

Policer: at-0/3/0.10-in-policer
    at-0/3/0.10-in-policer
                    0 packets

Is there a way to display more information such as number of
conformed/exceeded packets/bytes for real-time debugging using the monitor
command?

I believe the common practice of using the policer is within the [edit firewall
filter] hierarchy, however, we are still unable to determine how well the
policer is functioning. From the show results, we are only able to see the hits
on the filter.

Will the later release of JUNOS allow us to view more details about the policer
that is applied on the filter, or interface?

Any comments is appreciated.

Many Thanks.

Regards,
Cheeyong