[j-nsp] BGP origination

dre andre at operations.net
Wed Jan 29 09:02:25 EST 2003

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 01:12:42PM +0100, Jan Czmok wrote:

> If a customer is having a /24 assigned PI prefix and you have a mixed
> network (Cisco/Juniper) AND customer is static routed, how can this be
> archieved without messing things around ?
>
> (currently we use "advertise-inactive" but i'll rather have this clean
> running)

I know this is not an acceptable answer, but wouldn't people with PI
blocks (especially /24's) want to multi-home them, and ... "therefore
BGP"?  Maybe it would be a good idea to partner with another ISP to make
single-homed customers transition easily to multi-homing for this exact
situation.  This sounds more like a policy issue than a technical issue
to me.  Am I wrong?

If people are willing to spend the end-user initial fee of $2500 for a PI
block, then they should also be willing to spend the $500 for an ASN, $300
for a RADB maintainer object, and $10-2000 for a router that is capable of
speaking BGP (could be a 486 FreeBSD box running Zebra for all you care).

For the grandfathered people and the ARIN-player-haters who use MAIL-FROM:,
all I have to say to you people is "get with the program".

dre