[j-nsp] BGP origination

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Wed Jan 29 12:13:53 EST 2003

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 08:47:30AM -0800, Clayton Fiske wrote:

> What is the "non-ugly" way you would use with a static route? For the
> (admittedly few) static routes we pull into BGP, our policies are not
> unlike the example above (s/direct/static/). We just use the 'then'
> section to set attributes.

For example, here is a pretty nice way to put in a holddown route tagged
with all the necessary communities, exempted from being announced to
Cogent, with as as-path attached:

route 10.0.0.0/24 {
    discard;
    community [ ASN:TAGS ASN:MORETAGS 16631:666 ];
    as-path {
        path 1234;
    }
}

Works great with aggregates, works badly when you need to announce it as
the same length as its use internally.

The problem with the technique you're talking about is you need a term for
almost each prefix... Very ugly.

Using a prefix-list for the common configurations is mostly functional,
but still extremely limiting when you need to do something custom. For
example:

    prefix-list bgp-global {
        10.0.0.0/16;
    }
    prefix-list bgp-providerX-only {
        10.0.0.0/19
    }
    prefix-list bgp-providerY-only {
        10.0.32.0/19
    }

I suppose you could combine it with extra policy-statement terms for the
custom jobs, but I'm really trying to avoid creating unmaintainable
spaghetti configs where you have to look all over to figure out whats
going on. I'm still hoping someone has a more creative technique I'm not
considering.