[j-nsp] GigE: M10 <-> Cisco Catalyst 6509: oversized and corrupted frames

Josef Buchsteiner josefb at juniper.net
Mon Mar 24 15:47:14 EST 2003

At 03:29 PM 3/24/2003, Matti Saarinen wrote:

>I've connected Juniper M10 (JUNOS 5.6R2.4) and Cisco Catalyst 6509
>(IOS 12.1(13)E4) to each other via gigabit ethernet using multimode
>fibre. Both ends complain about the packets they are seeing. On M10,
>the number in oversized frames counter increases.

this might be normal if you use tagged interface connections
and the frame is longer then 1518 including FCS. Although all
works perfect the counter is increasing as oversized frames.
So you would get a frame of 1522 including FCS in this case which
will increase the oversize counter.

>  The 6509 complains
>about corrupted IP packets, too.

so you get checksum error when you ping the interface address
of the cisco ?  is this consistent ?
you can run one test on the juniper where you perform an external
loopback between TX and RX and you ping your local interface
address with the bypass routing knob. This way you check if the
local PIC and/or forwarding path is working correct.

Josef