[j-nsp] used Juniper parts

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu May 1 13:35:13 EDT 2003

On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 10:48:25AM -0500, Jay Ford wrote:
> I'd like to hear from folks who have ventured into the world of used
> Juniper parts.  Information about any experience (good or bad) will be
> appreciated:
>    o  specific parts to avoid
>    o  sources/vendors which are decent or those to avoid
>    o  other things to watch out for

* Support contracts
* Software licensing
* Misrepresentations or misunderstandings by uninformed sellers ("IP 1,
  whats that?")
* Availability of specific parts
* Having moved about two dozen RE's in one form or another, I can tell you
  that the internal compact-flash's are broken in one way or another on
  about half of them. I'm not sure if it's because they've been sitting in
  storage for so long before they get from bankrupt company to the open
  market, but you can guarantee a fresh used RE will fsck with errors, and
  every so often you get some you just can't fix no matter how much you
  dd over it and newfs it.
* For a while Juniper way actively having ebay squash auctions claiming
  non-transferable software, even on PIC-only auctions. Fortunately that
  seems to have stopped, and there is now a healthy market for used gear.