[j-nsp] hardware lookup OT

Piotr Marecki piotr.marecki at ids.pl
Mon May 19 21:07:45 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-05-19 at 19:50, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
> I believe the actual L3 lookup done with an mtrie (the same data structure
> as CEF) implemented in the IP2. I seem to recall someone saying that the
> Juniper implementation was 16-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1 vs Cisco's 16-8-8, but they
> could have been full of it. If you're looking for something to run on a
> general purpose processor, you should probably stick to the way CEF does
> it.

I suppose cisco implementation is also hw specific (for example on 1000x
esr "show hardware pxf cpu cef" gives "Shadow 12-8-4-4-4 Toaster Mtrie".
Also . it's kind funny that ( in my experience ) Cisco wasn't able to
provide decent and fast gear for ISP ( let command "show pxf crash" be
an example ... ) in last years given ( i think so  ) lot's of more cash
for R&D .

regards

Piotr Marecki