[j-nsp] MPLS load balancing hash-key

Dmitri Kalintsev dek at hades.uz
Thu May 22 15:27:45 EDT 2003

On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 07:04:28AM -0700, Paul Goyette wrote:
> No.
>
> MPLS packets are hashed using only the MPLS hash key.  MPLS packets
> are not further inspected to determine if the encapsulated data is
> an IP packet or something else.

...which sucks. :) Other vendor's equipment is actually looking beyound the
shim header and uses IP header data for LB hash (not sure about non-IP).
Other vendor's bucket algorithm does not always provide nice load spreading,
too, but it's still better that Juniper's one (especially when there's not
enough egress labels for the algorithm to start working acceptably). (I'm
*not* advocating the other vendor, don't get me wrong). But hey - you can't
have your cake and eat it, too (which is a shame anyway). ;)

> Similarly, IP packets are hashed using only the IP hash key.

---end quoted text---

SY,
--
D.K.