[j-nsp] Hub and Spoke VPN

E.T.Metz at telecom.tno.nl E.T.Metz at telecom.tno.nl
Fri Nov 14 04:24:06 EST 2003

There are a number of options to achieve what you want. However, since "without complicating things" is subject to personal opinion it is probably hard to identify the "simplest" options:

- One VRF for every spoke (on the same PE), but I understand this is too complex in your opinion.
- An upstream and a downstream VRF, this also requires a upstream and downstream interface per spoke. Spokes send traffic through the upstream VRF (that only imports a default from the hub), and receive traffc through the downstream interface/VRF. This introduces some issues related unidirectional links.
- GRE tunnels from spokes to hub, only distribute loopbacks in the VRF/VPN, rest of routing through tunnels (e.g. OSPF).
- L2VPN solution, this requires as many sub-interfaces on the hub as there are spokes.

Possibly there are number more ...

cheers,
	Eduard

ps in theory, you like to force the 'next-hop' of packets received on spoke interfaces (on the PE) to be set to the hub PE, but I'm not sure if this can be actually configured in a Juniper (or any other) box