[j-nsp] M20 stops processing icmp/snmp/local traffic

Gary Tate gtate at juniper.net
Tue Nov 18 13:30:18 EST 2003

This looks like it could be some kind of DOS attack on the RE or the RE
is being over utilized.  The traffic types you are talking about are
mostly handled by the RE, including the TCP termination of the bgp
peers.

Take a look at:
show pfe statistics traffic
show system statistics <protocol>
show system queues
show chassis routing-engine

Have a look for high levels of traffic/drops and high utilization on
the RE CPU as well as the PFE CPU.

I would advise you to contact the JTAC so they can help you investigate
this problem further,
Gary