[j-nsp] ethernet promisc mode

Avram Dorfman avram at juniper.net
Wed Oct 8 11:40:39 EDT 2003

Richard,

Getting the ethernet into promiscuous mode wouldn't solve your problem.
If the packets it picks up don't have the RE as a destination IP
address on them, they're just going to get forwarded according to the
forwarding table anyway (presumable back out that interface, and get
picked up again, causing a forwarding loop).

This is a dangerous idea anyway, because there is only a fast-e between
the FE and the RE. It would be extremely easy to saturate it, and that
can break things, and put a dangerous load on the CPU (I assume this is
an active router).

-Avram