[j-nsp] IP-II CPU utilisation

Josef Buchsteiner josefb at juniper.net
Wed Oct 15 05:53:29 EDT 2003

Wednesday, October 15, 2003, 11:28:35 AM, you wrote:
> Hi Josef,

> We experience surges of IP-II CPU utilisation and I want to know what
> takes up the resource of the IP-II CPU.

> What I meant was if we can find out the individual component that consume
> the IP-II, similar to showing the processes that consumes the RE i.e.
> CLI's "show system processes".

  since  this  is all embedded application (ukern) running on the
  IP-II  processor it is not like a normal user_land process like
  you  have  on  the  Routing  Engine.  This  requires  a  closer
  inspection  and  I suggest in this case that you send a note to
  support at juniper.net  so  we  can follow this up in more detail.
  Please send along "request support information"

>> Heap is the one you want to check how much memory you use on the
>> IP-II board. Remember this is all ukern and therefor heap is the
>> memory usage used.

> Apologise for my ignorance, but can you explain more on ukern and the use
> of the heap memory?

  I just wanted to bring over the message if you want to know how
  much  memory is used on the IP-II processor you need to look at
  the  heap value and not at the buffer value. Heap is a function
  to  manage  memory  allocation. if you look on any search engine
  for heap&memory you will find plenty on detailed explanations.

  thanks
  Josef