[j-nsp] M10s and power supply saga

Basil Kruglov basil at cifnet.com
Thu Oct 16 15:18:20 EDT 2003

Hello List,

This is my 2nd post, I couldn't get any kind of support from Juniper (lack
of any support contract, these are the first junipers in our network, we're
just test-driving them). I have two used M10s, both of them have 2 AC power
supplies. However, show chassis environment or show chassis hardware has
them in "absent" state

First box 5.7R2.4 (came with the box):

root at border2.chi-il> show chassis environment
Class Item                   Status     Measurement
Power Power Supply A         Absent <--
      Power Supply B         Absent <--
Temp  FPC 0                  OK         26 degrees C / 78 degrees F
      FPC 1                  OK         25 degrees C / 77 degrees F
      FEB                    OK         27 degrees C / 80 degrees F
      PS Intake              OK         23 degrees C / 73 degrees F
      PS Exhaust             OK         25 degrees C / 77 degrees F
      Routing Engine         OK         29 degrees C / 84 degrees F

2nd box 6.0R2.4 (came with the box):
root> show chassis environment
Class Item                   Status     Measurement
Power Power Supply A         Absent <--
      Power Supply B         Absent <--
Temp  FPC 0                  OK         28 degrees C / 82 degrees F
      FPC 1                  OK         27 degrees C / 80 degrees F
      FEB                    OK         32 degrees C / 89 degrees F
      PS Intake              OK         27 degrees C / 80 degrees F
      PS Exhaust             OK         27 degrees C / 80 degrees F

Already tried swapping power supplies, all of them work. Also tried
swapping FEBs and REs, with no luck.

No alarms, or any indication of something failing, but I really like to
solve this mystery before putting either one of these units in test
production environment. ;)

Any clues, and what are the odds.. Thanks in advance for any help,

-Basil @ CIFNet