[j-nsp] JUNOS Equivalent to CISCO IOS next-hop-self

Danny McPherson danny at tcb.net
Mon Oct 20 17:28:30 EDT 2003

On Monday, October 20, 2003, at 03:19 PM, Daniel Roesen wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 03:13:39PM -0600, Danny McPherson wrote:
>> Actually, route reflectors SHOULD only apply NEXT_HOP reset
>> (self) policy on non-reflected routes.

Here:

From: Daniel Roesen <dr at cluenet.de>

[...]

EBGP (and locally generated) routes are no problem. You will get
problems when you pass on IBGP routes (route reflection!) and
you overwrite the next-hop with self. See my other comment.

---------------------

You stated that you "will get problems", I'm saying you SHOULD
NOT per the route reflector SHOULD NOT change the NEXT_HOP on
reflected routes.  As such, you could enable setting of NEXT_HOP
to self on a peering session and only locally generated and EBGP
learned routes will be effected, NOT reflected routes.

>> As such, it should work as a generic configuration
>
> Uhm, can you rephrase? I'm not sure that I understand you correctly.

Enabling NEXT_HOP setting to self as a general policy is a good
idea for many reasons.  It SHOULD NOT break with route reflection
per it SHOULD only apply to non-reflected routes.

-danny