[j-nsp] Unique RD per PE

Bala Venkata vpbs_bak at rediffmail.com
Thu Oct 30 18:49:13 EST 2003

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
(if u have seen a similar message in groupstudy
list ignore this..)

This is a question on l3 vpns in JunOS.

Suppose if I configure 2 routing-instances for
a VPN in 2 PE routers (say vrf1, vrf2). What is
the advantage of:

1. Having the same RD value configured for both
vrf's.

2. Having seperate RD values for each.

(assume both PEs are in the same AS if you want)

I asked this in cisco's vpn seminar yesterday and
I was told "cisco recommends this" but they didnt
tell me why. Anyone with good JunOS background can
explain what's juniper's take. I'd appreciate a
detail explanation.

TIA

/vp