[j-nsp] Strange juniper - cisco MD5 problem

Wei Keong chooweikeong at pacific.net.sg
Wed Apr 28 12:57:49 EDT 2004

Hi guys,

I've come across a strange problem while implementing MD5 auth on
bgp between a juniper (5.6R2.4) & cisco (12.1.9a) router. The bgp for
the juniper side is in a non-main routing instance. I've configured the
MD5 password on both routers, but the bgp can't be established.

On the juniper router, the log shows a lot of these:
tcp_auth_ok: Packet from x.x.x.x:29594 unexpectedly has MD5 digest

On the cisco router, the log shows these:
%TCP-6-BADAUTH: No MD5 digest from x.x.x.x:2124 to x.x.x.x:179

I've tried to first configure MD5 on juniper, shut reset cisco bgp
session, and then configure MD5 on cisco. But, this did not help either.

The strange thing is, the moment i move the bgp group in juniper to the
main routing instance, the bgp session (with MD5) established after a
few seconds... Has anyone encounter similar problem? What could be the
cause?

Thanks,
Wei Keong