[j-nsp] JUNOS QOS

d_jacky d_jacky at so-net.com.hk
Fri Aug 6 12:59:39 EDT 2004

Hi,

I have a problem to demonstrate the different of the
strict-high-priority and low-priority queue with iperf.

I have two iperf workstations and two iperf servers configured on the
network.

Workstation-1->FE-1->Juniper-1->E1->Juniper-2->FE-1>Server-1
Workstation-2->FE-2->Juniper-1->E1->Juniper-2->FE-2->Server-2

The traffic from workstation-1 to server-1 assigned to
strict-high-priority queue.
The traffic from workstation-2 to server-2 assigned to low-priority
queue.

My expected result is most of the bandwidth allocation to workstation-1.
But the actual result is different.

>From the iperf output, the workstation-2 has similar bandwidth allocated
as workstation-1..It seems that, the iperf doesn't  sends TCP traffic
with constant rate. It can't fully utilize the E1 link and some unused
bandwidth allocated to workstation-2.

Question-1, Is iperf suitable to this test?
Question-2,  Any other tools can demonstrate the different of
stigh-high-queue and low-priority-queue?

Many Thanks