[j-nsp] BGP advertise-inactive (even not the *best* BGP route)

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Thu Aug 19 20:14:25 EDT 2004

On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 05:03:22PM -0700, Pedro Roque Marques wrote:
> All the stuff you guys are asking for already exists...

Not necessarily.

Think of some kind of "looking glass" application where you want to
run a router where you can peek into all the BGP RIBs of all routers
in your as. Typical question: "from where do I see x.x.x.x/x"... it's
difficult to answer that because each router gives only the best route
to the IBGP neighbors. But e.g. on a peering router, you might receive
the same route from a couple of peers. But this fact can be only seen
on the peering router itself. So by looking at IBGP, you can only tell
"which routers receive the prefix", and you'll have to check each of
those routers for all inactive BGP routes for the prefix in question.
It would be nice to have some magic knob which does (as Tony suggested)
add some UNIQUE route distinguisher to each route exported to the
special "looking glass" IBGP neigbor.

I'm not sure wether I'm clear in explaining my thoughts...

Best regards,
Daniel