[j-nsp] RE I, RE II &, RE III

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Sat Aug 28 19:28:21 EDT 2004

On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 05:25:11PM -0500, Khawaja, Kashif wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can somebody refer me to documentation that describes the new features
> introduced in the newer versions of Routing Engines (for M40s). Apart
> from the evident hw improvements I cannot find any other information on
> hw or sw capabilities added/enhanced in RE2 or RE3. Thanks.

There are none. Faster processor, more ram, remember that this is just a
PC in the form of a blade server.

Between RE1 for M40 and "the rest" there was a major change in hardware
interface and storage media (internal full-size scsi drive vs laptop ide
drive, LS120 floppy vs PCMCIA flash, etc), but the 333MHz 600MHz and
1600MHz models are all made by the same manufacturer, and are
interchangable.