[j-nsp] M40e Oddness

David Gethings davidg at pipex.net
Thu Dec 23 12:53:14 EST 2004

I'm going to open a case with Juniper, but was wondering if anyone had
seen this before.

We were having trouble monitoring a few devices (mixture of Juniper and
Cisco) that connect to a M40e (directly and indirectly). While other
devices behind the M40e were successfully being monitored. From the
debugging is appeared the ICMP and SNMP traffic was being dropped before
reaching the M40e (according to a logging firewall rule on the M40e).

Further investigation showed that the monitoring traffic was reaching
the M40e. So I applied a logging firewall rule on an interface to one of
the devices that we were having trouble monitoring. At that moment all
monitoring traffic reached the device.

I've since removed the firewall filter from the interface(s) and the
traffic continues to to get through. It is as though the M40e had lost
the forwarding path for those types of traffic (ICMP & SNMP) for the
affected hosts and applying a filter forced it to relearn!

Has anyone seen anything like this before? It's an M40e running 6.2R2.4.
All interfaces are GigE.

--
Cheers

Dg