[j-nsp] Show task accounting

Lars Erik Gullerud lerik at nolink.net
Wed Dec 29 11:30:00 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-29 at 15:23, av srikant wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I came to know that "show task accounting " in Juniper is same as "show proc
> cpu" in Cisco Routers. I get the below output using the "show task
> accounting " command.  My query is that what does the Columns such as user
> time, system time and longest run actually mean? Where can i find out which
> task is consuming what amount of the CPU ?

First of all, since JunOS is based on FreeBSD, user/system time
corresponds to the processor states on a BSD system, i.e. time spent in
userland (the process itself doing work) and time spent "in-kernel"
performing kernel tasks relating to this process. I'm sure you can
google up plenty of good explanations on this particular subject.

That being said, there are plenty of ways to see CPU usage and other
interesting data on your Routing Engine in addition to accounting. Being
FreeBSD-based, most normal commands you would use on a UNIX system are
available from a "start shell", then using ps, top, vmstat, etc. to give
you any information you need (personally, I tend to drop to a shell and
use "top").

You can access most of these from within the CLI as well - mostly using
"show system processes" with various options. E.g. "show system
processes detail" seem to correspond more or less to doing a "ps -axl"
in the shell. "show system processes extensive" gives you the output of
"top -b" (basically a snapshot view of the top output). But again -
dropping to a shell and using top in interactive mode is my own
preferred way of judging what uses CPU-time on the RE.

/leg