[j-nsp] Part Numbers

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Sun Feb 15 05:21:26 EST 2004

On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 10:49:01AM +0100, Josef Buchsteiner wrote:
> DR> But the chassis has a serial number of it's own, in addition to
> DR> the midplane serial number...
>
>     correct.. all FRU's SN#'s are pointing to this id

What does that mean? That you can deduct the chassis for which a PIC
was originally purchased for from the PIC's SN#? I somehow doubt that
you can encode the chassis SN# into the 2-chars-plus-4-numbers SN#s
of PICs, so I guess I misunderstood you?!? :-)

> and this Chassis SN# has a very special meanings for different tasks.

E.g. support contract validation.

Where is the chassis SN# stored btw? Some small PCB in the chassis,
connected via some ribbon cable to the midplane? Or even in the
midplane, given that you can order only the whole chassis+midplane
as RMA replacement, not the midplane alone?

Best regards,
Daniel