[j-nsp] Part Numbers

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Mon Feb 16 05:20:54 EST 2004

On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 08:52:12AM +0100, Josef Buchsteiner wrote:
> DR> What does that mean? That you can deduct the chassis for which a PIC
> DR> was originally purchased for from the PIC's SN#?
> DR> I somehow doubt that
> DR> you can encode the chassis SN# into the 2-chars-plus-4-numbers SN#s
> DR> of PICs, so I guess I misunderstood you?!? :-)
>
>     why not ? it's just a matter of a database.

OK, so the chassis # is not encoded into the PIC SN#, but a database
links PIC SN#s to Chassis SN#s. Although I somehow fail to see the
relevance of this linking, as it is really common to swap PICs all
around between your boxes. Supervising grey market sales? Detecting
wether a PIC for which a case is open is purchased via official
channels or on the used market, and thus rejecting support without
"re-certification"?

> have you ever seen a midplane replacement without alignment tools ?

No, we always got a whole chassis+midplane assembly delivered as
RMAs.

So bottom line is, that the "Chassis Serial-Number" is not really a
serial-number of the chassis assembly, but actually more of a system
ID which happens to be stored in NVRAM on the midplane, correct?

Given the following:

Item             Version  Part number  Serial number     Description
Chassis                                5xxxx             M10
Midplane         REV 03   710-001950   AVxxxx

actually, 710-001950 is the part number for the whole CHAS-MP-M10(-S),
with AVxxxx being the serial-number of this chassis+midplane assembly,
and 5xxxx being the implanted system ID. In order to uniquely identify
the hardware, the AVxxxx ser# is used, because the chassis ID can be
reprogrammed at will by Juniper (e.g. RMA replacements are delivered
with the same chassis ID as the defect assembly has). Correct?

Best regards,
Daniel