[j-nsp] BGP Prefix-Limit On A Session

Paul Goyette pgoyette at juniper.net
Thu Feb 26 09:57:31 EST 2004

> I am aware that this will always happen wrt to export-policy
> changes, and how JunOS internally groups based on a common set
> of attributes that control export policy (for scalability).
> However, It didn't make much sense that this would be related
> to prefix-limits as well.  I am told that behavior was a bug,
> and was due to be fixed at some point?  Can anyone at Juniper
> confirm that?

As far as I know, this is not a bug.  When you add the peer's
new attribute, you differentiate that peer from the rest within
the group.  As a result, internally the group is "split" into
two groups, one with the new attribute and one without it.  If
the "other" peers end up in the newly created group, you will
see the described behavior, since they are actually moved from
one group to another.  If the "other" peers remain in their
original group (and thus it is the "modified" peer that moves)
you will not see this behavior, since the "other" peers don't
move.