[j-nsp] BGP Prefix-Limit On A Session

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Thu Feb 26 10:52:39 EST 2004

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 09:41:50AM -0500, bbird at epik.net wrote:
> There is also much pain involved when a BGP group contains multiple peers
> who share a common export-policy, but adding a prefix-limit to one of the
> peers, where it didn't exist before causes unchanged peers' BGP session to
> reset as well.

Yeah, this is a long-standing internal broken design of JunOS. Actually,
I'd say the engineers who wrote the code made it a little bit too easy
for themselves. Same goes for changing export policy chain of the first
neighbor of a peer group etc. Or changing metric-out or whatever. There
is absolutely NO reason to reset the BGP session unless actual session
parameters have changed or capability negotiation has to reoccur.
Sadly, I had a very hard time to get this point across to Juniper folks.
But finally, ER6574 was opened to fix senseless session resets - but
that's now more than a year ago and no change yet.

We'll see when this is finally being fixed... until that, I don't
want to hear _anything_ about "carrier grade reliability" anymore.
:-)

Best regards,
Daniel