[j-nsp] BGP Prefix-Limit On A Session

Mike Benjamin mikeb at mikeb.org
Thu Feb 26 12:20:11 EST 2004

On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 09:46:33PM -0500, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:

: I'm not trying to harp on this issue, and please no one at Juniper take
: offense, but I'm curious how many operators out there agree or disagree
: with me on this point. This seems like as good a place as any to ask,
: since Juniper using operators tend to be the clueful ones anyways.

It has become the standard way of thinking to apply prefix limits to
the "accepted routes" not to the "received routes" ala brand C's way
of doing things.  This has merit as a way to not break the Internet,
but does little to stop the customer/peer from breaking your own
router.  So..  I would say that Juniper is lacking in a feature to
stop the Internet from breaking, but has enhanced their software
feature set over that of Cisco by implementing a way to protect the
router.

What should they do? --  Give us both.

I would love to set max accepted prefix on a customer to 20% that of
the count of routes in their prefix-list, while setting the received
prefix limit to 200% of that count.

This would save my router from massive memory consumption, while
allowing the customer to announce a sane number of usable routes.

If I set the current Juniper method to 20% above my customer and he
gets knocked down when my router is not affected I am not providing
quality service.  My customer pays me for connectivity, not to be a
nazi about his momentary sending me 100 extra routes which I'm not
even accepting anyways.

: Is this particular disconnect between developers and operators perhaps one
: of the reasons why every operator I know would LOVE to see auto-adjusting
: prefix limits that follow the "normal" number of prefixes announced by a
: peer, and yet no vendor has ever tried to implement it (that I know of
: anyways)?

I personally don't like this idea/would not use it, but if others
find it useful, then by all means, request it as a feature.

: Food for thought at any rate.

Absolutely.

--mikeb

: --
: Richard A Steenbergen <ras at e-gerbil.net>       http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras
: GPG Key ID: 0xF8B12CBC (7535 7F59 8204 ED1F CC1C 53AF 4C41 5ECA F8B1 2CBC)