[j-nsp] Juiper denial of service attacks...

Tom (UnitedLayer) tom at unitedlayer.com
Sat Jan 10 06:50:00 EST 2004

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Danny McPherson wrote:
> On Jan 7, 2004, at 7:02 PM, Tom (UnitedLayer) wrote:
> >> is juniper better in any other ways with regards to security.
> >
> > Answer: yes
>
> Do tell....?
>
> [i.e., not that I agree or disagree, but you should qualify your

I was being about as specific as the requestor.

In general I've seen Junipers handle high PPS volumes much better than
Cisco gear. In fact, I've recently experienced an issue with a C6509+MSFC2
where it couldn't handle a 120Kpps DOS attack. I would expect those
problems from a 7500, so I can't really think cisco's 7600 platform is
that much more spectacular.

The GSR's are ok, but frankly an M5 blows it out of the water.
You can barely filter on a GSR...